You can manually adjust the brightness of your iPhone 13’s screen by opening the Control Center and dragging the brightness slider up or down.
But this can be tedious, especially if you are constantly changing lighting environments.
Fortunately, there is an option that can handle this for you.
Our tutorial below will show you how to turn on auto brightness on an iPhone 13 so that the screen will automatically adjust itself based on the lighting conditions around you.
How to Enable the iPhone 13 Auto-Brightness Setting
- Tap Settings.
- Choose Accessibility.
- Select Display & Text Size.
- Turn on Auto-Brightness.
Our guide continues below with additional information about how to turn on auto brightness on an iPhone 13, including pictures of these steps.
The iPhone screen brightness setting can be interesting to observe.
In a traditionally lit interior room, the current brightness of the screen may seem perfect.
But if you step outside, it could be tough to see content on the screen. Or, if you turn off the lights, it may be far too bright.
You might have started manually adjusting the brightness when these types of lighting situations arise, but there is another way to handle it.
Our article below will show you how to find and use the auto-brightness setting on the iPhone 13 and let the device adjust the brightness on its own.
Related: Find out how to do caps lock on an iPhone 13 so that you can easily send a text message in all caps.
How to Adjust the Auto-Brightness Setting on Your iPhone (Guide with Pictures)
The steps in this article were performed on an iPhone 13, in the iOS 16 operating system.
Step 1: Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2: Scroll down and choose the Accessibility option.
Step 3: Choose the Display & Text Size item.
Step 4: Scroll to the bottom of the menu and tap the Auto-Brightness button to turn it on.
Now that you know how to turn on auto brightness on an iPhone 13 you can hopefully stop adjusting the brightness yourself manually, and spend more time using and enjoying the device.
More Information About Auto Brightness on an iPhone 13
Auto brightness on an iPhone 13 means that the device’s display adjusts its brightness level automatically based on the ambient light in the environment.
This feature uses the device’s light sensor to detect the amount of light in the room and adjusts the display’s brightness accordingly, making it easier to see in different lighting conditions.
This can help to conserve battery life by reducing the amount of power used to illuminate the display.
The usefulness of Auto Brightness can be apparent in many situations. Some reasons why someone might want to use Auto Brightness on an iPhone include the following:
- It can help conserve battery life: Auto Brightness can help to conserve battery life by reducing the amount of power used to illuminate the display. When the ambient light is low, the display can be dimmed, which uses less power.
- Auto Brightness can improve visiblity: Auto Brightness can help to improve visibility by adjusting the display’s brightness level to match the ambient light in the environment. This can make it easier to see the screen in different lighting conditions, such as when you’re in a dimly lit room or outside on a sunny day.
- Ease of use: Auto Brightness can make it easier to use your iPhone by eliminating the need to manually adjust the display’s brightness level. You can simply enable the feature and let your device automatically adjust the brightness for you.
- Comfort: Auto Brightness can reduce the amount of eye strain that iPhone users experience by adjusting the display’s brightness level to match the ambient light in the environment. This can make it more comfortable to use your iPhone for long periods of time.
In addition to the items mentioned above, there are also some sleep-related reasons why you might want to consider lowering your screen brightness or using the Night Shift setting.
It is possible that using an iPhone with a bright screen before going to sleep could make it more difficult to fall asleep.
The reason for this is that the bright blue light emitted by the iPhone’s display can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep. This can make it harder for your body to relax and prepare for sleep.
Additionally, the bright light and stimulating content on the screen can also be distracting and make it more difficult to relax and focus on sleeping.
It is recommended to reduce the screen brightness of your iPhone before sleep and consider using the Night Shift mode that adjusts the color temperature of the display to reduce the amount of blue light emitted.
This can help to reduce the impact of the bright light on your sleep.
Additionally, it’s best to avoid using electronic devices for at least an hour before bedtime, which is something that is often recommended by sleep specialists as part of a good sleep hygiene routine.
Matthew Thomas has been writing tech content and guiding small businesses on their tech solutions for over a decade. He began working part-time as help desk support while he was in college, then proceeded to get his degree and moved into IT consulting.
These days Matthew spends most of his time writing about computers and mobile devices as a freelance online writer.